Thread protector keeps working loose

General silencer give-and-take. If you desire to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the burglarize or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators:mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

hardcase
Silent Simply Deadly
Posts:449
Joined:Sun May 26, 2022 ten:01 pm
Thread protector keeps working loose

When shooting without the tin on my P229 Sig. I tightened information technology a bit with channel locks but haven't really cranked down on it, so to speak, probably torqued to about 12-xv lbs or so. Later on 6-8 shots, I accept to remember to tighten it again. I've considered getting some of that "Lock-Tight" stuff but don't want it to get hot and set up by getting it off.

What exercise other use?


User avatar

KingTiger
Silent Merely Mortiferous
Posts:237
Joined:Mon February 05, 2007 12:twoscore pm
Location:Marietta, GA

Re: Thread protector keeps working loose

Mail by KingTiger » Tue Aug 26, 2022 2:46 pm

Teflon tape.

Controlled Cacophony


rimshaker
Silent Simply Deadly
Posts:1038
Joined:Monday Jul 23, 2022 11:15 am
Location:FL

Re: Thread protector keeps working loose

Mail by rimshaker » Tue Aug 26, 2022 three:21 pm

The only TP's that won't back off are some metric ones with an internal o-ring (for example AAC M16x1 or Tornado Tech M13.5x1).

Otherwise TP'due south will ever work their fashion loose. I found it easier to merely not shoot with them attached. The muzzle smash won't damage the threads. Just be mindful of the exposed threads when moving things effectually.


Joker31D
Silent But Deadly
Posts:304
Joined:Fri Sep 02, 2022 iv:45 am

Re: Thread protector keeps working loose

Mail by Joker31D » Tue Aug 26, 2022 half-dozen:51 pm

Become to Autozone and get a copper washer (Thin and malleable) thet permit you to tighten them so they shell the copper (By paw) and hold the TP in place. used information technology on my last deployment for a pistol that kept doing the same thing. (Shot mainly Dogs and lights with information technology so I didnt need to carry attached)

Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! expect, it has a Burglarize!


TicTactical
New Member
Posts:4
Joined:Tue Mar 26, 2022 three:11 pm
Location:Berkeley County WV

Re: Thread protector keeps working loose

Mail service by TicTactical » Tue Aug 26, 2022 eleven:57 pm

I say just shoot without it. I generally take mine off when I beginning shooting at the range and put it on when I leave. Plus that makes it faster to throw your can on if y'all make up one's mind to accept some "placidity time".


User avatar

Artful
Silent But Deadly
Posts:4392
Joined:Wed Aug 17, 2005 eleven:47 pm
Location:Phx,AZ
Contact:

Re: Thread protector keeps working loose

Mail service past Artful » Sat Sep 13, 2022 12:33 am

depending upon the threads you lot may be able to go an O band between the shoulder and the showtime of the threads - if not then plumber'south teflon record works well.

"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to option yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill


Historian
Silent But Deadly
Posts:3451
Joined:Monday Mar 29, 2010 eleven:37 pm

Re: Thread protector keeps working loose

Mail by Historian » Sat Sep 13, 2022 7:32 am

hardcase wrote:When shooting without the tin on my P229 Sig. I tightened information technology a bit with channel locks merely haven't really cranked downwards on information technology, so to speak, probably torqued to about 12-xv lbs or then. Later 6-eight shots, I take to remember to tighten it once again. I've considered getting some of that "Lock-Tight" stuff but don't want it to get hot and gear up upward past getting it off.

What exercise other use?

Please give more detail on your bodily thread protector, brand, fabric,
how loose when yous put on, etc.

For example the one'southward fabricated out of Delrin
that Ray Brandes supplied with his Swell Barrels never come loose during shooting. The
material allows ane to brand a 75% thread with no damage to barrel.


User avatar

O2HeN2
Silent Only Deadly
Posts:192
Joined:Friday Dec 09, 2022 2:xiii am
Location:Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Thread protector keeps working loose

Post by O2HeN2 » Wed Sep 17, 2022 11:55 am

I employ a petty Gun-Tite occasionally (not every time) on the threads. I've found that its residue doesn't interfere with installation or removal of the suppressors or thread protectors, but offers but plenty resistance that the thread protector doesn't loosen.

In other words it leaves just enough goo behind to go along the thread protector from spinning off. At to the lowest degree in my experience.

O2

When seconds count, the police are mere minutes abroad...
You are the Start responder. Police, burn down and medical are SECOND responders.


hardcase
Silent But Mortiferous
Posts:449
Joined:Lord's day May 26, 2022 x:01 pm

Re: Thread protector keeps working loose

Postal service by hardcase » Wed Sep 17, 2022 four:05 pm

O2HeN2 wrote:I utilise a little Gun-Tite occasionally (not every time) on the threads. I've establish that its residue doesn't interfere with installation or removal of the suppressors or thread protectors, merely offers just plenty resistance that the thread protector doesn't loosen.

In other words it leaves just enough goo backside to keep the thread protector from spinning off. At least in my feel.

O2

I call back I'll look online for Gun-Tite and run across if I can combine it with another supply order. I've been using teflon tape since someone here mentioned it and I had it on hand. The teflon tape works adequately well. I'yard careful non to get any close to the bore. I even used it with my cans. The threads shred teflon record pretty good but it brushes of with a gun cleaning brush.


hardcase
Silent But Mortiferous
Posts:449
Joined:Sun May 26, 2022 x:01 pm

Re: Thread protector keeps working loose

Post by hardcase » Wed Sep 17, 2022 4:10 pm

Historian wrote:

hardcase wrote:When shooting without the can on my P229 Sig. I tightened it a fleck with aqueduct locks but haven't really cranked downwardly on it, so to speak, probably torqued to about 12-xv lbs or then. Afterwards 6-8 shots, I have to remember to tighten it over again. I've considered getting some of that "Lock-Tight" stuff but don't want it to go hot and set past getting it off.

What do other employ?

Please requite more detail on your actual thread protector, make, cloth,
how loose when y'all put on, etc.

For example the one'southward fabricated out of Delrin
that Ray Brandes supplied with his Keen Barrels never come loose during shooting. The
material allows i to brand a 75% thread with no damage to barrel.

All my pistol barrels are 1/2x28, fifty-fifty the .40 South&W. I've gotten the thread protectors mixed up, since there was an extra with each barrel. I had the loosening problem with all of them, besides with the cans after near 8-10 rounds when they warm upwardly.


Dieseljay
Member
Posts:21
Joined:Monday May 05, 2022 12:07 pm

Re: Thread protector keeps working loose

Post past Dieseljay » Saturday Sep 20, 2022 viii:42 am

Does your barrel have a shoulder? If yes just purchase a pack of wave washers. Its what my ruger 22/45 came with to concur on the TP. Since it worked amazingly I bought some larger ones on amazon and have been amazed at how well they work on my 308 and ar. A moving ridge washer holds the TP under tension then it tin't piece of work its way back off. It doesn't have the short comings of Teflon tape or lock tight.


BikerBrian
Member
Posts:31
Joined:Fri Feb 19, 2010 eleven:12 pm

Re: Thread protector keeps working loose

Post by BikerBrian » Sat Sep 20, 2022 1:04 pm

This thread protector has worked best for me.
http://www.store.silencerco.com/collect ... engagement
It's for Silencerco's 22 o-ring engagement threading, just works corking on my standard 1/2*28 threads. The o-ring bites into the threads a footling when y'all twist information technology on and it has never come up loose. It doesn't thread all the manner on because of the o-ring, but it is close plenty.
It cost more than Teflon tape or some thread goo, but their is nothing to clean upwards subsequently using it. And, to me, is the best solution.